Sunday, November 06, 2005

Hy-Photo-Chondriac


The Dirty Dresser

[ Nikon D50 and Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC ]
[ 1/30s f/5.6 ISO 200 50mm ]
[ Bounced Flash with Vivitar V2000 ]

I'm back-tracking on my 'first D50 photos' here. Later in the day I got some sleep and was ready to do some more test shots. I was pretty pleased with myself for about ten seconds. Then my eyes drifted to the lower left and looked upon ... some dust!

Dust is the enemy to SLR shooters. Clever, this whole interchangeable lens SLR concept. Every lens change is an accident waiting to happen. Entire businesses have thrived on this fear of dust. We are talking two hundred of your American dollars for a pack of Q-tips, a makeup brush, and a solution that's mostly water.

It hasn't been with me for 24 hours and dust is already friends with my sensor, I thought, and here I was without my extra-special dust-busting Q-tips and makeup brush. It's a dilemma fit for an all-girl high school. Except imagine all the schoolgirls are in fact heavyset, bearded men sweating profusely under their vests of many pockets.

Luckily what I missed, as usual, was the obvious: there really is dust on our not-so-well-kept wall, and none on the sensor.

Moral: Clean your room, then clean your sensor. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Gerry Dulay said...

I am truly sorry my dear wife. I swear I'll clean that dusty spot on the wall. I know just the thing for it in Photoshop ... ;)